Castor oil is one of the most widely used beauty products which is as a result of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The castor oil is gotten from the castor plant called Ricinus communis commonly found in the Tropics. The castor plant is a must-have in our homes.
It is one of the chief ingredients in most cosmetic, beauty, and hair products. Other than it being used for beauty products only it also has other medicinal uses.
What you should know about the castor oil
The castor oil is usually being extracted from the the castor bean by crushing the seeds of the plant.
This oil is very rich in triglyceride fatty acid, having upto 90% of its fatty acid substance is ricinoleic acid. The ricin oleic acid belongs to a group of unsaturated omega-9 fatty acid.
Due to the high content of this unsaturated fatty acids it has made it highly beneficial and very useful.
Benefits of castor oil
The castor plant has a lot of health benefits which is very useful in many areas. This oil is very high in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some medical and health benefits
and they include :
- As a laxative for breast feeding mothers. It also helps in improving the bowel movement. Record also have it that it is used for curing constipation.
- It helps in easing pains during labour and child birth. Also wounds sustained from injuries can be treated using castor oil.
- Arthritis – the continuous use of castor supplements is very effective in treating arthritis related issues.
- Acne – reports have it That the oil gotten from the castor plant is very good to use when treating acne related issues. This is as a result of the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of this plant.
- Athlete’s foot – the antibacterial and antifungal properties of the castor plant makes it very difficult for microbes to thrive.
- Menstrual cramps – as mentioned earlier the castor plant is a very helpful solution in treating pain related issues. It has the ability to provide relief to pain resulting from menstruation.
Other health benefits of using castor oil includes the following :-
- Yeast infections
Far from the health benefits mentioned earlier, the castor plant also have some helpful and amazing benefits. This benefits includes :-
- Skin moisturizer – castor oil can be used as a skin moisturizer, it helps in retaining the natural glow of the skin.
- Cleanser. When being used appropriately it has the ability to keep the skin looking very clean. The continuous use of castor oil can help prevent the occurrence of pimples on the face. The oil makes it impossible for bacteria and viruses to thrive on the skin.
- Hydrating – this oil has the ability to lock in the moisture on your skin leaving your skin looking radiant.
- Clears wrinkles and stretch marks – castor oil helps in It fading away stretch marks from the skin. It also helps in improving the elasticity of the skin thereby preventing wrinkles on the skin.
- It can help improve the smoothness of the skin thereby making it feel very soft. For people having sensitive skin type using castor oil prevents your pores from getting clogged.
Hair care benefits
Castor oil also have some amazing hair befits too such as :-
- The oil helps in improving hair growth. The frequent use of the oil on the hair will improve a more healthy a d shiny hair
- It helps strengthen the texture of the hair thereby preventing excessive hair breakage and fallouts.
- Also, It can be used in preventing dry scalp and prevents one from having dandruff.