Luis Suarez Inspires Atlético Madrid to winning 11th La Liga Title
Luis Suarez, former Barcelona striker scores the goal to enable Atlético solidify their place as the Champions of La Liga Santander title.
Going into the final La Liga match day against an already relegated Real Valladolid, Atlético needed to avoid defeat in other to be crown as champions of La Liga.
Despite Real Valladolid drawing the first blood, Atléti rally in the second half with goals from Angel Correa and Luis Suarez to win the game 1-2.
This is Atlético first league title in seven years and 11th overall.
Atlético finished with just two points ahead of City rivals, defending champions Real Madrid, who ends the season without any silverware.
Los Roji Blancos needed to win away at Valladolid as they do not have better head-to-head record with Real Madrid had they draw and Madrid beating Villarreal.
Diego Simeone side falls behind to Oscar Plano strike but turned the match around in second half through goals from Angel Correa and Luis Suarez.
Atlético’s Talisman and Marksman
It is the fifth LaLiga title in the career of striker Luis Suarez, who finished as Atleti’s top scorer this season with 21 goals in 32 league games.
The 34-year-old only joined Atleti last year after being deemed surplus to requirements at Barca.
Former Madrid midfielder Marcos Llorente was also key to Atleti’s title triumph.
With 12 goals and 11 assists, he is the first Atletico player since Diego Forlan (32 goals, 10 assists) in 2008-09 to record a ‘double-double’ of at least 10 goals and assists in the same season.
Llorente has epitomised the way Atleti have performed beyond expectations this season.
His 12 goals have come from just 3.41 expected goals (xG), and his 11 assists from 5.38 expected assists (xA).
The difference in each of those figures is the highest among LaLiga players in 2020-21.
Signing of the season Suarez seals success
Who else would it have been? Lionel Messi was said to be furious when Barca decided to allow Suarez to leave, and the former Liverpool star has ultimately proved the difference in the title race.
His 21 league goals have been worth 22 points to Atleti, which is more than any other LaLiga player this season as it stands.
Key Opta Facts
- Simeone has won his eighth title with Atleti – two LaLiga crowns (2013-14 and 2020-21), two Europa League triumphs (2012 and 2018), two UEFA Super Cups (2012 and 2018), one Copa del Rey (2013) and a Super Cup (2014).
- Simeone is the coach with the most titles in club history, surpassing Luis Aragones (seven).
- Atleti have won more points after losing than any other team in LaLiga in 2021 (17). They have made a come-back in seven of their 11 games in which they conceded the first goal of the game, winning five and drawing two.
- Correa has scored nine goals in 38 games in LaLiga this season, his best scoring tally in a single league campaign with Atleti.
- Valladolid have suffered relegation from LaLiga for the fourth time in the 21st century (2004, 2010, 2014 and 2021), more than any other team in the competition this century.
Atleti’s season is over, but they can spend the time preparing for a 2021-22 campaign as defending champions, while Valladolid will be focused on an immediate return to LaLiga.
Also Read: Real Valladolid 1-2 Atlético Madrid: Suarez The hero as Simeone’s men clinch LaLiga crown